Business Legal Expense Coverage
A full time legal team is no longer just for Fortune 1000 companies.Get coverage for up to $100,000 per dispute, up to 5 times a year.
Your Business Protected
LEC empowers your business with access to justice and peace of mind to focus on what matters most.
Did you Know:
- 3 out of 10 small business owners are likely to face a legal dispute in the next 3 years
- The average hourly rate of an experienced lawyer is $407
- Over the last 3 years, 12% of business owners went to court
- Complex employment disputes can cost up to $231,685 for a 7 day civil trial
- 1 out of 10 Canadian small business owners know someone who lost their business due to a legal dispute
- Violating Canada’s Anti-Spam Law can result in fines up to $10 million per violation
Top five legal disputes are:
- Collecting money owed from customers (over 600,000 businesses impacted)
- Contract disputes with customers (over 370,000 businesses impacted)
- Contract disputes with suppliers (over 255,000 businesses impacted)
- Employment disputes
- Tax disputes
- Canadian Lawyer Magazine Survey, June 2015
As a business owner, you face a variety of legal risks on a daily basis. From hiring and firing staff to disputes with suppliers and clients, a legal issue can quickly arise, resulting in substantial losses to your business. Legal Expense Insurance (LEI) is an insurance product that protects you in case of an unforeseen legal event by covering your legal costs and giving you access to experienced lawyers. LEI empowers business owners to defend or pursue their legal rights and gives them access to justice when they need it. LECbusiness Legal Expense Insurance fills the gaps in your existing commercial insurance coverage and:
- Protects your business from costly legal expenses
- Empowers you to defend or pursue your legal rights
- Provides you with unlimited access to general legal advice at any time
LECbusiness: Coverage Summary:LECbusiness is designed to respond to a variety of legal issues commonly faced by business owners. The policy helps protect your business by covering your legal costs. It fills the gaps in traditional commercial insurance coverage in the following legal situations:
If you have a dispute with an employee arising out of their contract of employment, and/or with regards to a wrongful dismissal claim.
If your business faces a criminal charge, police investigation, occupational health and safety investigation, or claim alleging failure to comply with privacy or anti-spam legislation.
Contract Disputes and Debt Recovery
If you face a dispute relating to the selling or buying of goods, or the obtaining or providing of services.
Statutory Licence Protection
If your business faces a suspension, alteration, or cancellation of their business licence.
If you experience a legal nuisance or trespass, or if someone causes physical damage to your commercial property.
If someone causes you or your employees bodily injury, illness, or death during the course of employment.
If your business faces an audit or wishes to appeal a decision from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
LEGAL ADVICE HELPLINE
Unlimited access to a general legal advice helpline for any business-related legal issue.
- $500 for every Tax Protection claim
- $2,500 for every Employment Dispute claim involving a non-unionized employee
- $2,500 for every Contract Disputes & Debt Recovery claim, if the dispute cannot be resolved by ARAG and requires an appointed legal representative
The lawyer answered my questions and gave advice. I was quite impressed that shortly after our conversation ended, the lawyer called me again because she had an additional thought to add. She could have just left it, but the fact that she made the effort in a follow-up call was very good. – KEVIN
ENJOY 24 /7 GENERAL LEGAL ADVICE
Every LEC policy also includes unlimited access to telephone legal advice for any legal question, whether the issue is covered by your policy or not. We encourage our policyholders to call as often as needed to gain confidence and peace of mind when faced with a potential legal situation.